Visiting a foreign country is an experience of a lifetime. Whether you are visiting the country of your dreams or paying a visit to relatives, the excitement is unbound. But no matter how carefully you have planned your trip, things may go haywire.
Loss or delayed baggage is a common problem several travellers face. Not only does it leave travellers worrying, but it also jeopardises their travel itinerary. But there is a way to avoid that by having the best travel insurance plan.
With a travel international insurance policy, you will get baggage loss and delays coverage. In case of loss, the insurance will incur the cost of essential items in the baggage, according to the plan terms and conditions.
If you are new to baggage loss and delays in travel insurance claims, this blog will provide you with an idea.
What Is Baggage Loss and Delays?
The terms baggage loss and delay are distinct from each other.
- Baggage loss is a situation where the travellers’ stuff is either stolen or lost during the travelling. A traveller does not find his stuff at check-out due to airline faults.
- Baggage delays are the situation where luggage gets misplaced by the airline, and travellers do not get the luggage at the conveyor belt. In such a situation, baggage is delayed by a few hours.
However, both situations can cause frustration and inconvenience, as travellers’ plans get affected.
Reasons for Baggage Loss and Delays
Some of the popular reasons for baggage delays are:
- When the flight is working at total capacity or during peak season, the staff may misplace or lose baggage, especially at small airports.
- Sometimes, due to the irresponsibility of staff, baggage gets delivered to the wrong destination.
- Last, if the flight lands in an unfavourable weather, the ground clearance staff can unload the baggage only when the weather conditions are clear.
The reasons for baggage loss are:
- If the tag gets damaged, then the chances of baggage loss are high. This generally happens in connecting flights.
- Further, due to manual error, if the baggage is sent to a different destination and lands in the wrong luggage cart, the chances of finding it are slim.
- Lastly, if the luggage gets damaged or wrecked due to the negligence of airport staff, it may be difficult to recover the luggage.
How Does Baggage Insurance Work?
Getting travel insurance is essential when you want to dodge any unforeseen event. An insurance plan offers a great range of coverage in any case of emergency. The travel policy coverage may include several incidents, from flight cancellation to accident coverage.
Baggage Insurance is one of the coverages provided by insurance companies, and it is categorised into two types: baggage loss and delays.
- Baggage Delay Insurance
In travel insurance, delayed baggage is when the insurer gets reimbursed for expenses incurred due to delayed arrival. The policyholder will be reimbursed for personal and necessary items such as medicines, toiletries, clothes, etc.
How it works – The policyholder can claim the insurance company if the baggage does not arrive at a specified time. Make sure to check the time limit specified in your policy. Generally, the time is calculated from your arrival at the destination port. If it has been more than 12 hours and you have not received the baggage delay travel insurance claim, you can raise a request.
- Baggage Loss Insurance
In travel insurance, lost baggage coverage is where policyholders will get compensation for their luggage. The insurance provider will pay for the lost items and baggage per the policy condition. In some cases, travel policy providers will compensate for the baggage theft in public transit.
How it works – To get compensation for lost baggage, policyholders have to specify the reasons, such as baggage getting delivered to the wrong destination or getting stolen in public transit. Then, they can raise a request for compensation. The amount will be reimbursed to the policyholder after deducting the amount paid by the airline.
A travel insurance baggage scheme is essential if you travel with high-value personal items. In the peak or holiday season, when almost everybody is travelling, the chances of baggage getting misplaced and lost are high. To avoid such situations, insure your luggage before travelling. Also, always buy a travel insurance policy from a reputable firm with years of experience under their belt.